Panorama of the Kreuzkirche (left) and the Town Hall (right), Dresden
Due to the fact that the center of Dresden was completely bombed, not a single building remained on the Old Market Square. And they decided not to restore them, but limited themselves to socialist realism. An exception was made only for the Church of the Holy Cross (Kreuzkirche), which I describe in detail below.
Altmarktplatz is also famous for its Striezelmarkt Christmas market. It is one of the largest and most popular in Germany.
An der Kreuzkirche 1, 01067 Dresden
It is sometimes also called the Church of the Holy Cross, but this is just a manner of translation.
This is the oldest church in Dresden. In memory of the War, the interior decoration was decided not to be completely restored.
The Romanesque Basilica of St. Nicholas has stood here since 1168.
The first version was built in the XII century, but it burned many times and therefore was rebuilt many times. It acquired its modern look in 1792.
It got its name from the relic stored in it - a particle of the cross on which Christ was crucified. It is the largest temple in Saxony. The tower is 96 meters high. There is an observation deck at a height of 56 meters (or 256 steps). Costs 4 euros.
Its chimes are a relative replica of 1930. The dial diameter is 3 meters.
Monument to the boys' choir from Kreuzkirche, Dresden
The church is open daily from 10:00 to 17:00.
Between the bridges of Augustus and Carola (Carolabrücke) there is now a promenade. This is the high bank of the Elbe and, in fact, the facade of the Old Town.
Initially, there were fortifications on the high bank of the Elbe. However, the Saxon Prime Minister Heinrich von Brühl under August the Strong ordered them to be dismantled and converted into a luxurious baroque promenade with a palace, gallery and belvedere. Interestingly, this entire section, about 500 meters long along the Elbe, was privately owned by Minister Bruhl, which he received in parts from the Saxon Elector.
He commissioned the promenade project to the architect Johann Christoph Knöffel, known as the founder of Saxon Rococo.
The Promenade is great. They even began to call it the Balcony of Europe or the Brühl beauty (Die Brühlsche Herrlichkeit), and the official name is the Brühl Terrace (Die Brühlsche Terrase). The ensemble consisted of a palace, library, gallery, belvedere and park. At the end of the 19th century, all this Saxon Rococo was demolished, and only the park, which is now called the Brühl Garden, has been partially preserved. By the way, it was opened to the general public in 1814.
Thormeyer Staircase, Brühl Terrace, Dresden
From the west, the terrace opens with a beautiful baroque staircase (Freitreppe). It has 41 steps. Construction began in 1814 and completed in 1868 by Gottlob Friedrich Thormeyer. It is decorated with four statues, each of which symbolizes a specific time of the day.
All four sculptures of the Four Periods of the Day were sculpted by Johannes Schilling in 1868 from sandstone. However, in 1908 it was decided to replace them with bronze copies, and the originals were moved to the Chemnitz palace park.
House of the Estates, Brühl Terrace, Dresden
Tourists who have visited Crimea at least once must plan their excursions so as to visit magnificent palaces, which, in addition to magnificent landscapes and the sea, are the adornment of the peninsula. If you start from the very south, then the first on your road will be the magnificent Vorontsov Palace or Alupkinsky (it is located in the village of Alupka). The proximity to Mount Ai - Petri makes it even more amazing and unusual against the backdrop of rocky mountains.
The castle was built from 1828 to 1848. The idea of building the castle belongs to the Novorossiysk count Mikhail Semenovich Vorontsov, the son of the Russian ambassador to England, a descendant of a noble Russian noble family, an intelligent educated landowner who was famous for his liberal outlook on life. The palace was designed by Edward Blore, who was the court architect of Queen Victoria. But it was not he who supervised the construction, but the English architect William Gunt. The palace, in total, has about 150 rooms and utility rooms.
Some of the rooms of the palace, which are mainly decorated with wood, are examples of the Gothic style. But in the architecture of the Vorontsov Palace, the Moorish style is also adjacent, the representative of which is the southern part of the palace, namely its facade, the rear part is the "Tudor style" of the 16th - early 20th century. 17th century, a magnificent winter garden - this is the style of European palaces of the 19th century.
In the architecture of the castle, styles that are theoretically incompatible are combined into a magnificent harmonious ensemble. It is magnificent in its grandeur and graceful lightness at the same time.
For centuries, guests of the Alupka Palace have seen in it what is closer to their hearts. The spirit of good old England inspired the palace on W. Churchill, who lived here during the Yalta conference, and reminded another distinguished guest Jawaharlal Nehru of the architecture of India and the East.
Luxurious furniture made of walnut, mahogany, oak has survived to this day in the interior of the palace. It was specially made by Russian craftsmen and artisans. The paintings on the walls of the palace are also interesting for tourists. Some of them belong to the pen of famous artists of the 18th century.
For example, in the dining room you can admire the creations of the French artist Hubert Robert. Also noteworthy are the products of their crystal, porcelain, bronze, which are located here.
The soul of the Russian man lies to the tree, from time immemorial he erected log cabins, put wooden fences. However, natural material is sensitive to high humidity, aggressive environment, rotting, afraid of fire.
Today, wood is treated with antiseptics, covered with paints and varnishes, but still the fence requires maintenance, periodic repairs.
Content of the article:
So is it worth building a fence of wooden boards in the 21st century, when a new high-tech material has appeared - a wood-polymer composite, which is not inferior in beauty to natural wood?
Product demonstrates improved performance. And manufacturers guarantee the longevity of a wood-polymer composite fence for at least a quarter of a century without losing its appearance and quality.
But first things first. First, let's take a closer look at the innovative product.
The modern material contains a wood component. Wood crushed into flour makes up from 50 to 80% percent of the total weight of the raw material. What does wood waste go into production: trimmings of lumber, logs, twigs and branches. The rest is thermoplastic polymers, modifying synthetic additives, dyes. Different manufacturers use their own proportions and this determines the final parameters of the product and the cost.
Now about performance. People who have installed KDP fences on their sites publish numerous reviews on the Internet and note:
Another positive side of the material - it is easy to saw, cut, does not require, unlike wood, additional processing and maintenance (grinding, impregnation with antiseptic compounds, staining and subsequent renewal of the paintwork).
Yet experts focus on the following factors: