Even a short walk along the old streets of Oldenburg guarantees a romantic mood: graceful neo-Gothic cathedrals, patterns on the facades of mansions, picturesque parks and an abundance of authentic pubs. The history of the city can be traced back to the 7th century, centuries of ups and downs have made Oldenburg a popular destination for lovers of medieval atmosphere, narrow winding streets and authentic pubs.
Oldenburg (German Oldenburg) is a large industrial and tourist city in Lower Saxony. The economic success is due to its favorable location on the banks of the navigable river Gunthe, just 90 km from the North Sea coast. The port is connected to a network of inland waterways through a coastal canal, and there is also access to the sea through the Hunt and Weser rivers.
The nearest international airport is in neighboring Bremen, at a distance of 48 km. From the airport terminals, you can go to Bremen Train Station and change to the Deutsche Bahn commuter train, which leaves every 2 hours. Travel time 30 min., Price 11.4 EUR. Several times a day a bus departs from the ZOB Breitenweg / Hbf station: travel time 46 minutes, fare 9 EUR.
From Bremen to Oldenburg can be reached by private or rented car along the B75 and A28. After 46 km, take exit 14-Oldenburg-Marschweg, follow Theaterwall towards Staulinie. Distance 51 km, trip lasts 40-45 minutes. High-speed trains from Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig and Munich stop in Oldenburg.
The first mentions of the settlement on the banks of the Gunthe date back to the chronicles of 1108, when the city was one of the residences of the Counts of Oldenburg. Until 1773, their dynasty occupied the royal throne of Denmark, influencing the political events of Northern Europe. The representatives were relatives of the royal families of Norway, Sweden, Greece, the Russian Empire. After the plague epidemic in 1667 and the series of fires that followed, the medieval city was practically destroyed.
The Gothic Church of St. Lambert (end of the 12th century), the chapel of St. Gertrude (mid-13th century) and the stone bell tower of the Hospital of the Holy Spirit, dating from 1467–68. The restoration lasted until the 18th century: fashionable buildings in the classical style were erected, cathedrals, bell towers and defensive towers were built. The city center was decorated with a majestic baroque residence castle, built on the site of a destroyed palace of the 12th century.
Since 1773, under the order of the Holstein-Gottorp dynasty, it became the capital of the Duchy of Oldenburg and a significant fortified point. During the Napoleonic Wars, from 1811 to 1813. was ruled by France.
Oldenburg is a city that escaped significant destruction during the 2 world wars. In 1973, the doors of the Karl von Ossietzky University opened, where more than 9,500 students study at the same time. In 2009 Oldenburg was recognized as the City of Science in Germany. More than 120 thousand tourists from different countries of Europe and Asia visit the city annually.
The climate of the region is continental, moderately warm, with a significant amount of precipitation. The city is located in the marshy area of the northwestern part of the North German Plain. The climate is influenced by the proximity of the North Sea, which ensures the prevalence of westerly winds and relatively low temperature drops.
The coldest month is January: during the day the temperature is kept at + 1 + 3C °, at night it drops to -3C °. North winds often blow from the coast, because of the high humidity of the air, the cold is felt more strongly. February is considered the driest month, with a maximum of 42-50 mm of precipitation. By mid-March, the temperature rises to + 5 + 8 C °, frosts up to -2C ° are possible at night. By May it gets much warmer, up to + 17C °.