Today, there is not a single area of life where plastic is not used. It is used in the manufacture of furniture, plastic windows, and various household goods. Parts for cars and computers are also made from this material. Lightweight, durable, waterproof, it has a significant disadvantage - over time, yellowness appears. There are many options for how and with what to clean white plastic. But first you need to understand the reasons for the color change.
Why does plastic turn yellow?
There are many reasons. Starting from the most commonplace everyday ones, to complex chemical processes. Namely:
- Operating conditions. The room where you smoke contains nicotine tar in the air, which settles on the plastic. They give a yellow bloom quickly enough. The same thing happens when there is an open fire. A good hood will certainly slow down the yellowing process, but it will not completely save you.
- Incorrect leaving. Do not clean white plastic with wire brushes, sponges and abrasive paste. Scratches appear on the surface, into which dust, soot will then fall and, as a result, a color change.
- Composition. After recycling plastic products, the raw materials are used again in production. To renew the composition, chemical additives are needed. But some manufacturers neglect this, making the products cheaper. Such plastic quickly loses its original color.
- Temperature mode. Products in the kitchen are subject to temperature extremes. From this, the material changes its properties, and with them the color. This happens quickly enough. Things take on a grayish or yellowish tint.
- Direct sunlight. So that window frames, window sills and other products exposed to the onslaught of sunlight do not turn yellow, special additives are included in the plastic. Ultraviolet light gradually changes the structure of the upper layers of products. As a result, the original color goes away.
- The slowest process is oxidation. Oxygen is present in the air that surrounds us. He, entering into a chemical reaction with plastic, makes adjustments to its shade. This process is very long, but irreversible.
Whatever the reason, there are tons of ways to clean up white plastic and give your appliances a decent look.
Some options for getting rid of yellowness can be considered universal. Since they not only restore color, but also simultaneously wash the white plastic from all kinds of dirt. Here are some of them:
- Soda. The powder is mixed with water to form a paste. Apply to the surface and leave for several hours. Rubbing is not recommended, because in this case the soda does not dissolve and can damage the top layer of the plastic. Then they are washed off with water. Suitable for textured and matte surfaces.
- Vodka. Use undiluted. Apply with a cotton pad to yellowed areas and other contaminants. Wipe clean and rinse with water.
- Ammonia. Apply diluted. Add one tablespoon of ammonia to 1 liter of water. For ease of application, pour the solution into a container with a spray bottle. The surface can be rubbed. This method works especially well on window frames, window sills and wall panels.
- One of the best tools for bleaching plastic is considered to be an aqueous solution of stain remover, in which chlorine is present. The required concentration is 1: 1. The surface is washed several times. Leave for 7-8 hours. Then washed off with water. All manipulations are carried out in rubber gloves, the room is ventilated, since chlorine vapor can be poisoned.
Along with the listed, fairly simple and inexpensive methods of cleaning white plastic, there are a lot of folk remedies that actively help solve this problem.
The most benign methods come first. Namely:
- Ordinary laundry soap comes first. To prepare the mixture, rub a whole piece on a coarse grater. Combine with a glass of warm water. Apply to a yellowed surface. Wash off with water and wipe dry.
- Oddly enough, vinegar is also considered a safe way to bleach plastic. For use, take 70% essence. They work in rubber gloves, wiping problem areas with a cotton pad. To enhance the effect, you can add soda. The powder is poured onto the spots and soaked in vinegar. Rub very carefully so as not to damage the surface.
- Hydrogen peroxide is good when the color is just starting to change. A soft tissue is impregnated with a product and problem areas are treated several times.
- If something does not suit you, do the following. Mix 2 tablespoons of peroxide, the same amount of hair clarifier in 1 liter. water. Work with gloves. Such a composition will perfectly clean white plastic.
- Sometimes a variety of solvents are used for bleaching. This is acetone, nail polish remover, etc. But you need to be careful here. Not every type of plastic will withstand the aggressiveness of such products. Before starting surface treatment, try on a small area.
- Probably the most unusual way to clean white plastic is with sunflower oil and baking soda. They are mainly used to treat yellow fat spots. The products are mixed in a 2: 1 ratio, getting the consistency of thick sour cream. Apply with a soft brush for 15-20 minutes. Then wipe with a wet cloth and soapy water.
Renovation of an apartment, house is a long and painstaking process. Everyone wants to create a unique look. Everyone strives to do something new, unusual. It is important that after renovation it is as clean as possible. After all, construction waste can cause a lot of health problems. It is worth figuring out how to clean an apartment after renovation.
What work is ahead?
To clean a house after renovation, you need to solve many problems. It is important not to miss all the details:
- construction waste removal;
- surface cleaning;
- window cleaning;
- furniture cleaning.
These are the main points to be followed. Each room, be it an apartment or a house, may have nuances.
How to prepare and what to do - from uniform to brush
General cleaning after renovation is a responsible process. Proper preparation for it is very important. There are many materials in hardware stores for this. What will be needed to carry out high-quality cleaning after renovation:
- Respiratory mask. Building dust can lead to health problems, masks will prevent this. It is necessary to choose exactly the option and model that is designed for repair, construction or ordinary, light dust.
- Clothes. It is advisable to use clothing that can be recycled later. To do this, choose old jeans, a shirt and shoes. Construction waste is toxic and difficult to remove from the material. Subsequently, the clothes will not be subject to restoration.
- A vacuum cleaner is needed in order to remove dust and small debris.
- Brushes. A vacuum cleaner may not be able to handle waste in hard-to-reach places.
- Mop. For removing dirt from floor coverings.
- Hand gloves.
- Rags. It will be necessary to wipe a lot of surfaces from dust and dirt.
- Floor cleaner. Disinfection is important for general cleaning of an apartment after renovation.
- Window cleaner. So that the glass windows shine and create coziness in the house.
Tips for cleaning after renovation:
- You don't have to buy everything new and expensive. As rags, you can use old clothes that are no longer needed.
- The floor cleaner can be replaced with washing powder by stirring it with water. Just be sure to wash it off after cleaning.
- Use dry wipes for cleaning windows, they will not leave streaks and rags marks.
- Do not discard leftover building materials and components. If possible, save them, as they may be needed in another room, be it a summer cottage, a garden, a vegetable garden. Building materials are a seasonal commodity, and the price can change both upwards and downwards. By keeping them, you will save time and money buying new ones.
- Don't forget the furniture. Indeed, in upholstery fabrics dust, debris settles, which are also harmful to health. For better cleaning of furniture, you can contact special companies that clean carpets and other elements of design and everyday life.
- Polyurethane foam is best removed in an uncured form. Therefore, do not delay with this.
- Use Shumanit to remove stubborn dirt.
- Chair legs can be waxed to prevent dark stains on the floor.
It is recommended to rub the wooden surfaces with polish. It will give shine to things.
Where to start?
In order not to miss anything during a major cleaning of an apartment after renovation, you can make a list of what needs to be done. This will help organize your work.