Do you want to quickly and inexpensively update your furniture, but have limited financial resources? Today, when antique rarities are at the height of fashion, the best solution may be to patinate wood with your own hands, which will improve the surface of furniture, give it an aged exclusive look, charm and sophistication.
The updated interior will attract attention with its classic appearance with elements of antiquity.
What is patination?
Patination is a special technology of artificial aging of interior elements using special compounds. It is popular in the field of decoration, where there is a need to imitate traces of antiquity on various types of surfaces. Today this technology is available for home use as well. If you need to transform the look of furniture on a minimal budget, then patina is your option.
What are the features of this technology?
Originally, the term "patina" denoted a thin oxide film that forms on the surface of copper. Nowadays, patina is widespread and is used by many people to endow interior items with special "antique" properties. Quite often, artificial aging technology is used for solid wood furniture. The application of patina allows not only to create a retro style, but also to protect the surface from the effects of external negative factors.
The simplest and fastest patina method that any newcomer to the furniture renovation industry can use and which, in terms of quality, gives a quite acceptable result, is rubbing a special mixture of wax into corners, cracks, edges, and other relief irregularities on the surface wood. This makes it possible to obtain the effect of "dirty" wood, which in the natural environment occurs with age-related changes. Self-patination of home furniture is a kind of staining method, where a special composition is used as a paint. Such processing does not lead to a change in the structure of the tree, which makes it possible to remove patina in a short time and without consequences.
Basic patinating compounds and their properties
The following are used as the main compounds for patinating wood:
- Bitumen. This composition penetrates deep into the pores of the wood and provides a good imitation of aging. The mixture has a dark color, therefore, patination to some extent has the effect of toning - bitumen will effectively darken the protruding parts of the relief pattern, its edges and recesses. For the manufacture of bituminous compositions, a solvent is used, therefore, to strengthen the decorative coating, it is additionally varnished.
- Shellac varnish. A wide palette of shades includes a range from amber-orange to ruby-red, which makes it possible to refine the surface with a composition of almost any color. Shellac retains the structure and main color of the material. Most often it is used as an independent coating, but in some cases it is used as a protective layer for other patinating compounds.
- Stain. It gives the wood darker shades, provides reliable protection against mold, mildew, and rot. For a stronger stain effect, the wooden surface is pre-brushed. After processing, it acquires a noble dark shade and looks favorably against the background of other interior items.
- Wax. Such a composition will help to effectively perform patination and focus on the structure of the tree. Wax compositions are easy to apply and set for a long time, which allows for a long time to perform surface treatment. The ability of the wax to resist liquid well will provide the wood surface with good moisture resistance. The surface treated with wax compositions is characterized by a pearlescent overflow with a clear wood structure.
- Oils. Their working and decorative qualities are almost identical to wax-based formulations, but oil mixtures are considered more versatile in use. The oils penetrate deeply into the pores of the tree and reliably protect it from waterlogging.
- Acrylic. Acrylic-based compositions have a wide palette of shades and can be applied with a paint brush. High adhesion to the treated surface and high-quality protection against harmful microflora characterize this composition in the best way. It is ideal for DIY furniture processing in the home.
Patina for metal surfaces