Most engineering communications are laid with pipes. When choosing them, they pay attention to the material and characteristics. The use of metal products faded into the background. Pipes made of cross-linked polyethylene for water supply allow you to lay communications of any complexity.
Areas in which pipes of this material are used
XLPE pipes have universal properties. They are durable and resistant to negative factors, including high temperatures. This determined their use for the construction of such communications:
- Water supply. XLPE pipes are used for hot and cold water pipelines. It is important that the material withstands heat and does not deform. Polyethylene meets these requirements. Crosslinked pipelines are not only able to withstand heating, but also high pressure, without which it is impossible to transport water through the water supply system.
- Radiator-type heating system. When choosing products for a heating system, it is necessary to pay attention to the resistance not only to high temperatures, but also to pressure. We need pipes that have a margin of safety. This is especially true of pressure, which can rise sharply.
- Warm floor. Different materials are used for the installation of the system. The value of temperature and pressure does not matter. Therefore, cross-linked polyethylene can be used for laying such communications.
- Water heating main. When constructing a pipeline, temperature conditions and pressure changes are taken into account. All this is necessary to ensure sufficient heating of the house or apartment.
- Piping. Cross-linked polyethylene is used for the construction of communications for the removal of products from the food, chemical, pharmaceutical industries. Products comply with environmental requirements. They are resistant to chemicals, do not affect the condition of the transported product.
Features and production technologies
Polyethylene cross-linked at the molecular level is used in production. There are cross-links between the molecules in the structure. This addition made it possible to increase the strength, rigidity and resistance of the material to extreme temperatures.
Stitching is done in several ways:
- Peroxide method. Provides high quality stitching. The main disadvantage of such pipes for water supply is their high cost. Crosslinking is performed using hydrogen peroxide. The result is a uniform seam.
- Silane method. Crosslinking is carried out using silane, water, and catalysts. The method is widespread, but inferior in quality to the previous one.
- Nitrogen method. Crosslinking is carried out with the participation of nitrogen radicals. Stitching quality - 70%. The method is rarely used, since special conditions are required for production.
- Radiation physical method. During production, the polyethylene mass is driven through an electron accelerator. It is affected by X-rays or gamma radiation. The method is not very popular, since the percentage of stitching is no more than 60%.
When choosing, pay attention to the method of sewing polyethylene. This determines the characteristics of the products.
Pros and cons of products
XLPE pipes for water supply have the following advantages:
- resistance to aggressive substances that can be transported through the pipeline;
- environmental friendliness - cross-linked polyethylene contains no toxic substances, which allows it to be used for the construction of various communications, including water supply systems;
- resistance to ultraviolet radiation - compared to other polymers, polyethylene does not lose its properties under the influence of direct sunlight;
- elasticity - cross-linked pipes lend themselves to bending, which gives the ability to lay the pipeline according to different schemes (the number of joints is reduced);
- XLPE pipelines are lightweight, installed on any base;
- resistance to sudden temperature changes - the pipeline does not need insulation , can be laid in different places;
- ease of installation - to lay communication, you do not need special skills, work experience or special tools;
- service life of 50 years;
- polyethylene is not suspended Corrosion resistant.
Correct installation work ensures the reliability of the connection. The pipes have smooth walls, which eliminates the accumulation of deposits inside the pipeline for water supply.