Chewing gum is very popular. It helps freshen breath, remove food debris from the oral cavity, while, unlike toothpaste and mouthwash, you can take it with you, use it anywhere: on the street, in a cafe, park, public transport. However, it is there that often not very well-mannered people leave it - they stick it to the seats, under the tables. If you become a victim of the tricks of hooligans or accidentally dropped an elastic band on your favorite pants, you need to learn how to save things, because they do not have to be immediately sent to the trash can. You can even remove chewing gum from clothes at home, if you make a little effort and use folk or professional methods.
If you are on gum, you should not immediately throw out your trousers or spend money on dry cleaning. There are many ways to remove a sticky rubber band, but there are general rules.
Here's what to do if gum gets on your clothes:
- The main thing is not to postpone the deletion, it will be much more difficult to do it in a few days.
- Do not peel off the gum with sharp objects: scissors, nails, as this will not eliminate the problem, but will only aggravate it: the stain will become larger, it will be much more difficult to wipe it off. In addition, the mechanical method can damage delicate fabrics.
- Before the procedure, it is necessary to take into account the type of tissue on which the gum has come into contact. This will help you choose the most appropriate methods.
- Colored items must not be treated with alcohol, solvents, acetone, hot air, boiling water, otherwise the clothes may shed.
- After cleaning the main dirt, wash the item. This can be done both in the washing machine and by hand. However, you should not wash your clothes, this will not bring the desired effect, but it will ruin both the equipment and the thing.
- If the material is very delicate, and the product is expensive, it is better not to save money, but to entrust the damaged item to professionals. It is very difficult to remove dirt from fabrics such as silk and satin without damaging their structure.
- When using aggressive household chemicals, do not forget about protection: thick rubber gloves, a medical mask. If caustic professional products come into contact with the skin or mucous membranes, immediately rinse the damaged area with clean water; in serious cases, it is better to consult a doctor.
One of the most effective ways to remove gum from trousers or jeans is by raising or lowering the temperature. It almost certainly works, requiring little effort and costly funds. However, before removal, you must refer to the instructions indicated on the clothing label, pay attention to the permitted temperature regime.
The advantage of this method is that even delicate fabrics can be frozen. However, there is a minus - it will not be possible to quickly remove the gum, it needs time to freeze.
You can remove the gum as follows:
- If the item is small, it should be placed in a plastic bag so that the gum does not touch it.
- Put a bag of clothes in the freezer, again, the elastic should not touch the walls. For the best effect, sprinkle the dirt with water from a spray bottle.
- If the temperature outside the window is freezing, you can arrange things on an unglazed balcony or on the street if you have a plot.
- If this is not possible, and the clothes are too large for the freezer (jacket, coat, blanket, blanket, etc.), you should use the "point method": attach an ice cube to the chewing gum, hold until it melt, then repeat the same thing again. It is best to clamp the ice with tongs so as not to get frostbite.
- After a while (from half an hour to an hour), the chewing gum will separate from the clothes, leaving no trace on the fabric. If this does not happen, try to gently remove it with a stiff shoe brush.